Elgin Breeding Service (EBS) Migrates to uniPaaS RIA
Elgin Breeding Service (EBS)
Established in 1954, Elgin Breeding Service (EBS) is one of the most highly respected custom Bovine semen collection companies in the world. EBS maintains state‐of‐the‐art facilities in Elgin, Texas.
In order to support its expanding business operations, EBS needed to upgrade its outdated client‐server business application to the Rich Internet Application (RIA) architecture made possible by the uniPaaS application platform. Migrating to uniPaaS RIA must be performed in a careful and controlled manner and must take into account conversion of online screens, batch processes and changes in logic, as well as programmatic changes needed to adapt the application to a completely different deployment concept. Another key requirement in this conversion was managing the 15‐year technological leap from EBS' DOS‐based Magic application to a modern Windows environment, including the redevelopment of the user interface.
Magic Software leveraged its extensive experience, conversion utilities and partner resources to offer EBS a fast, smooth and cost‐effective migration from their older Magic version to uniPaaS RIA. In parallel to the software conversion, the application’s proprietary Btrieve database was converted in an automated manner to MS‐SQL, allowing EBS to enjoy the benefits of a standard relational database environment.
- Magic Software performed an initial analysis of the application and evaluation of the conversion complexity using a variety of automatic analysis tools. In addition, Magic Software helped EBS to expose their special requirements, and managed the project to completion in full satisfaction of EBS’ unique requirements.
- Magic Software used an automated mapping tool to generate an easy‐to‐use display of the application's flow structure, saving valuable time in the actual conversion. All potential problems in the conversion were identified and categorized by subject and severity.
- The client‐server application was converted to uniPaaS RIA using automatic tools that substantially reduced the time required and minimized the number of errors. These tools use automated approaches that are designed specifically to cope with ambiguities when converting to RIA.
- Magic Software employs a specialized project management system to ensure a highly efficient manual conversion effort.
Leveraging our experience and partner resources EBS’ application was converted to a cutting‐edge RIA architecture ontime and on‐budget.
By working with Magic Software, EBS was able to receive a superior software solution:
- Accurate assessment of customer needs and project costs.
- Reduced effort and better quality by using automated conversion tools.
- Certified professional project management experienced in large‐scale conversion projects.
- Fastest delivery with strict adherence to project timetables and user requirements.
- Experienced testing regimes used to ensure application stability.
- Direct vendor relationship ensures a single responsible party for both project completion and application platform reliability