Enterprise mashups combine business-related heterogeneous data and applications from multiple sources—typically a mix of internal data and applications with externally sourced data, SaaS (software-as-a-service) and Web content—to create an integrated experience.
Mashups, in general, have gained popularity in recent years, with the advent of Web 2.0 and the mass proliferation of mobile technology. Although most early mashups were consumer-focused, the ability of enterprise mashups to quickly and easily consolidate on a single Web page or mobile device screen data and functionality that is normally spread across several applications offers real business opportunities for companies of all shapes and sizes around the world.
Enterprise mashup can be divided into three segments or flavors:
- Presentation layer mashup presents content from disparate sources together in a unified view.
- Data mashup combines, manipulates, and ties together disparate data sources to present a unified view.
- Process mashup enables users to mashup not just data sources but also business processes themselves, customizing process design and invoking business logic across multiple applications.
As techniques for creating mashups have matured, companies are starting to build business models around mashups. Enterprises, software vendors, and solution providers who move quickly to develop a mashup strategy, including an entire ecosystem of mashup technology and data, will be able to capture a major share of this emerging market.
Enterprise IT organizations are starting to use mashups as quick, easy, and cost-effective solutions to a range of issues. Because mashups use pre-existing technology to support graphical and functional richness, no huge investment is required. Moreover, by leveraging existing Web services and robust platform services, the development time of mashups can be measured in hours or days, rather than weeks or months.
Magic’s solutions for enterprise mashup enable enterprise employees and managers, in the office or in remote locations, to receive all the information they require, when they require it, and in a format that is easy to view and interact with. For example, Magic’s mobile offering can pull information from a SaaS-based CRM system and a back-end installed ERP system onto a mobile device where it is presented in a single coherent view. Any changes made to this business data are then automatically applied to each system in real time, increasing efficiency, reducing the possibility of human error, and, above all, providing better business insight.
A typical enterprise mashup scenario enabled by Magic’s smart technology would involve the handling of an urgent purchase order (PO) for new equipment by a manager who is out of the office. The manager can complete the entire business process via his smartphone or tablet, basing his decision to approve or reject the PO on all relevant information, which is consolidated and presented to him in real time on a single screen by a mashup enterprise application.
Magic’s enterprise mashup solutions provide:
- Higher business productivity
- Better informed decision making
- Fast and easy access to mission-critical data
- Rich visualization of data
- Facilitation of back-end processes by on-the-go employees
- Same user experience on multiple device types running on multiple mobile platforms
- Full compatibility with SOA-based applications
- High return on investment
- Short response timescales and quick turnaround time
- Stringent security measures